Designed by Jayden Alstad, a multi-National tournament winner of several categories, this purple and crimson Contender Deck utilizes strong disciples and a variety of royal heroes on offense, while the defense combines Edomites, Babylonians, animals, and select N.T. characters. This deck is fast, powerful, and is chock-full of strong combos!
Son of God (I/J)
New Jerusalem (2019 winner promo)
Angel of the Lord
NT Only (Ap)
Shut Door (Di)
Open Hand (CoW)
Four Drachma Coin (Di)
Oath of Purity (LoC)
Captive Princes (FoM)
David, God’s King (PoC)
Esther, the Courageous (PoC)
Ethiopian Treasurer (Ap)
Every Tribe (RoJ)
Counsel of Abigail (RoA)
Eve’s Descendant (PoC)
Gathered Together (PoC)
Reach of Desperation
Authority of Christ (Or)
Letters to the Churches (H)
Redeeming Branch (PoC)
Charioteers of Seir (LoC)
Simon the Magician (EC)
Outsiders (Bro/Crim) (RoJ)
Fiery Serpents (FoM)
King Rehoboam (Ki)
Aliens (Gold/Crim) (LoC)
Seized by Babylon (PoC)
Dissension in Antioch (EC)
Table of Demons (EC)
Joash, Child King (LoC)
King Solomon (TxP)
Covenant with Adam (PoC)
New Covenant (Isaiah) (PoC)
Asherah Pole (Ki)
Worship of Edom (LoC)
Christian Suing Another (Ap)
Invoking Terror (FooF)
Deck strategy and tips (by Jayden Alstad):
- The offense has an assortment of powerful heroes that can be used situationally to win the battle, such as their band, unique, and other strong abilities. There are also several good enhancements and support cards that will help them win the battle and allow you to draw heavily, which will speed up your deck significantly.
- Like the offense, the defense has an assortment of blockers that have powerful abilities that can situationally be used to win the battle. There are also a few powerful combos that will help you have an defensive edge over your opponent.
- Because of the mixed themes, some cards will be more situational which is a side effect of being powerful. For example, Counsel of Abigail will not be very useful on your N.T. disciples and Seized by Babylon will be most effective on either Nebuchadnezzar or Conjurers because they are Babylonians.
- THE OFFENSE:
- Many of the Lost Souls in this deck function so that they make themselves more difficult for your opponent to rescue, adding another layer of defensive strategy to this deck.
- Captive Princes, the card that led to this particular combination of brigades, is a dual-alignment character, which can be used effectively on offense or defense to create a Lost Soul for you to rescue and to see your opponent's hand so you know which character to add to battle to give you the best chance of winning the battle.
- Ethiopian Treasurer can search deck or discard pile for Letters to the Churches so you can use it multiple times. This enhancement, when tossed off of Coliseum, will decrease an opposing character 7/7, regardless of protection.
- Other strong plays include getting Joy from Reserve with the star ability on Redeeming Branch or with the "Gain" Lost Soul, and placing it on Esther, the Courageous so her protect and discard abilities cannot be negated, and using Nebuchadnezzar to add Fiery Serpents to battle to take out all Heroes in battle without even using an evil Enhancement.
- Recur some of your good Enhancements with Matthew, Ethiopian Treasurer, and New Covenant.
- Oath of Purity is a great covenant that can be used to bounce any human (when its played as an artifact). This is perfect for situations where if you have Peter in play, but want to block with Simon, you can bounce Peter to make Simon that much better. Also, the good enhancement side can be played on Melchizedek and Every Tribe.
- Hope can be used as a hero to snag Joy from Reserve; or, you can use it as a good enhancement on Melchidezek, Every Tribe, and David (if you choose for David's star ability to allow him to gain green brigade).
- THE DEFENSE:
- One of the strongest cards to utilize in this deck is Coliseum, which tosses enhancements that say "cannot be negated" or that do not have a special ability. This stops some really strong enhancements your opponent may have, such as Scattered or Bravery of David, and makes some of the enhancements in this deck, such as Letters to the Churches and Jealousy, much more powerful than they otherwise would be.
- Aliens is another soul-generating card that can also discard a strong or pesky card from your opponent’s Reserve.
- Christian Suing Another, which creates a side-battle with one of your opponent’s rescuing Heroes and another Hero, can be used to create some strong combos that will most likely win you the battle: Once the heroes are in the side-battle, play Strife to remove all of the Heroes in battle, except the Hero you control. This play also works well with King Rehoboam's side-battle ability. Just make sure you have two of your heroes in territory before you block with him as he targets those heroes for the side battle.
- Use Conjurers to obtain Jealousy, Invoking Terror, or any of the other evil Enhancements in the Reserve. Those two Enhancements in particular are great targets for Conjurers to situationally obtain and work best when played on that character.
Check out Jayden using this deck here!
Jayden recommends the below cards as other viable options for this deck’s theme. You can view and purchase them by clicking on each one, or search for them here!